Leveraging the national security science & technology enterprise to meet IC needs.
In-STeP is a program managed by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence Director of Science and Technology.
Strong, if often quiet, partnerships between the U.S. private and public-sectors remain the cornerstone of ensuring an overwhelming intelligence advantage for our nation’s decision makers and warfighters. In-STeP is designed to empower the IC science and technology (S&T) enterprise and its partners to properly inform investment decisions by ensuring additional synergy in intelligence-related research efforts.
To better align public and private sector S&T efforts in support of intelligence needs.
Enable senior IC leadership to effectively manage risk by anticipating mission needs, informing stakeholders of S&T- related developments, shaping S&T investments and efforts, strengthening integration, and leveraging partners and resources outside of the National Intelligence Program to solve problems of interest.
Adoption and implementation of In-STeP will remain critical for aligning the IC S&T enterprise and partners’ pursuits with future intelligence and broader national security needs.
In-STeP One-on-One Meetings:
In-STeP One-on-One Meetings provide the opportunity to present your S&T projects to IC stakeholders. To be successful, technical presentations should be focused on how proprietary S&T efforts align to the IC S&T Needs contained in the FY2015-2019 IC S&T Investment Landscape, and provide detailed and practical presentation materials. After the meeting, materials may be provided to a closed, proprietary-cleared, government stakeholder group.
In-STeP One-on-One Meetings can be scheduled via S&TInvestment@dni.gov or S&TInvestment@dni.ic.gov (JWICS).
The In-STeP team is available to address questions about the meetings and schedule the presentation date. To ensure broad IC participation, contact the In-STeP team at least one month in advance of the desired presentation date.
In-STeP and the One-on-One meetings provide the rational, traceable, and defensible foundation for aligning the IC S&T enterprise and partners’ activities against IC Needs. Furthering this mission are the DS&T’s Intelligence Ventures in Exploratory Science and Technology (In-VEST) and Intelligence Formulation of Risk Management (In-FoRM) activities.
In-VEST: Provides the DNI with substantiated research investment guidance to resolve In-STeP-identified challenges.
In-FoRM: Leverages In-STeP-derived solutions to inform acquisition decisions and further integrate and align the IC.
IC S&T INTELLIGENCE COMMUNITY SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
IC S&T Investment Landscape
- Collects the S&T Needs of the National Intelligence Managers, the combatant commands, and other IC stakeholders.
- Provides an auditable, rational structure linking S&T investments to customer Needs.
- Creates a common basis for leveraging government, industry, and academic efforts.
IC S&T Investment Landscape- Partner Responses
- Provides a high-level matching of public- and private-sector partners’ existing programs to the IC-wide Needs captured in the Landscape.
- Provides IC developers with unprecedented insight into the commercial solution marketplace.
- Offers a resource for industry and government S&T planning as well as procurement and acquisition insight.
IC S&T Strategic Plan
- The charter document guiding the IC’s S&T activities.
- Advances the IC’s ability to manage risk across the National Intelligence Program.
- Incorporates insights from the Landscape Needs-driven, industry-led, S&T roadmap activites.